Wednesday 11 September 2019

First impressions of an NGO



Recently I happened to get an opportunity to see closely the workings of an NGO. The employees work with so much passion. Their commitment to make the lives of underprivileged better is exemplary.  And to think of it, while they work tirelessly for upping the quality of life for their beneficiaries, they themselves have taken a hit at their pockets (most work for a token salary). Sometimes they work for free as volunteers too.

I have always worked in the IT industry. So for me, the huge salaries, the posh working locations, the free meals and other benefits were like a birth right. Being an HR professional, I have also handled people grievances mainly for salary (even from people who are already earning way too high a salary) just because some of their colleague is getting better salary for the same work.

So this exposure to the working of an NGO actually makes me think long and hard. It feels like the decade that I spent working in the IT sector is a different world all together. People there were so focused on themselves, their progression (even at the cost of having to play dirty politics), their ease and comfort etc. Everyone was predominantly self centric. 

Whereas in this NGO, the field workers seem so driven to work for people and their betterment. It's really heart-warming. The positive change which they bring about is purely a labour of love. Coming from a motivation to do good for others. And I truly feel blessed to experience this at close quarters. 

It kind of restores my faith in humanity.

It makes me realise that there is immense power in love. 

Love for humanity - It's healing and definitely a reminder of the goodness that still exists in our world!



No comments:

Post a Comment