Thursday 21 May 2020

Calm In the Chaos





I’m back from the ashes or should I say ‘life’πŸ˜€

Fear, Uncertainties, Insecurities, Pandemic, Corona Virus, national lockdowns, new life new schedules – I rest my case πŸ˜“

When Corona Virus hit India and me specifically, I didn’t know how to deal with it. And because I didn’t know myself well enough (more on that later), I exposed myself to all possible news about it. And each time I heard a negative news about the numbers going up, God knows, I sure did panic from knowing life is uncertain. The fear of facing a virus with no remedy is very very real.

After a while, I was able to pick myself up and find ways to deal with it.

So here are a few habits I learnt to deal with chaos:

1.     Embrace the reality: As much as I would have loved to avoid being in such an unpleasant world of pandemic, I realized the first step towards sanity was accepting and embracing the reality of the situation. Facing the reality at hand does help you calm the emotional turbulence within.

2.       Ignore the news: After a certain point, I realized reading the news is causing me more damage than making me aware of the current situation. I already had sufficient information on how to follow basic hygienic practices of wearing a mask, following social distancing. So, there is no point in following the increasing numbers of the impacted. Believe it or not, after I stopped following the news, I became much more peaceful. Afterall, ignorance is bliss.

3.       Practice Gratitude: I always knew about the benefits of gratitude. But in recent times, counting my blessings consciously really helped me πŸ˜‡ I literally write them down each and every day (even if they are the same points like safety of loved ones, food, clothing, shelter etc). They say where focus goes, energy flows so essentially you are forcing your energies on the good rather than the gloomy.

4.       Know yourself better: This might be a very silly or profound point based on how well you know yourself. For me, I realized very late in the game that I am a sensitive person who can turn into a super neurotic one with the slightest of stimulus. Bad/sad news turns my mental frame of mind into total crap. And the cycle will not end in a few couple of hours, I tend to sulk and ruminate on the news forever. I might also manifest all sorts of symptoms of ‘the said virus’. I may not even sleep well for days together due to same. So, it is good to do some self-introspection and find ways to soothe ourselves. Doing things you love and NOT doing the things which hurt you are definitely a good starter.

5.       Keep yourself busy: I can’t really take full credit for this one πŸ˜… But well, being the housewife has its own perks. Cooking meals 4 times a day (4 hrs. in the kitchen), cleaning & dusting your house, all other menial tasks to keep a house running used to be boring earlier. But in this pandemic, I chose to use these to become a better “errand girl” version of myself. Also, I try to listen to happy music, interesting podcasts while doing the chores which bring in some fun element into the monotonous. Remember our mothers listening to radios while cooking? Boy, were they smart!

So, here’s hoping to new times, new beginnings where we are safely out of this pandemic. I pray with all my heart that each one of us comes out of this situation with more health, vitality and resilience to face life after the worst is over πŸ’–Amen!

P.S: Thanks to the lovely one who pushed me to start writing again πŸ™ Your nudge may have awakened the writer in me again. Hopefully this blog does not feel very preachy or indicative of diarrhea writing disorder πŸ‘


No comments:

Post a Comment