Thursday 13 June 2019

What kills Joy?





Comparison is the thief of joy ~ Theodore Roosevelt

I consider myself very fortunate that my parents never went the comparison way. They had plenty of reasons to. My elder sister, as a kid, had always been a very sincere and hardworking one, always coming first or second in her class. She was the favourite of all our school teachers. Not only did she excel in her studies but was also very good at all the extra-curriculum activities that the school had to offer.

Very big shoes to be filled by me. I unfortunately went to the same school. And have always been average in studies, not interested in extra-currics.

So why did Mr. Roosevelt's  profound thought above ring bells in my head? Because I still have bleak memories of being compared to my dear elder sister by teachers and not liking it a bit. Being educators and facilitators, they had no business seeping outright comparison between siblings. 
Criticising one for not being similar to the other. Each kid is unique with their own strengths and weaknesses. Ideally they should have been the one nurturing that spirit into young tiny minds.

Anyhow, growing up I witnessed many callous elders who time and again committed the mistake of seeping comparison between their own kids, colleagues, relatives etc.

Thanks to them, I have become ultra sensitive about my words and actions. Hopefully 30-40 years later, there should be no one writing a blog about how they saw me hurting sentiments by going into a comparison mode.

As Snow White, from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, once said "Remember, you're the one who can fill the world with Sunshine".
   



No comments:

Post a Comment